Sawley Infant & Nursery School welcomes its duties under the Equality Act 2010 to eliminate discrimination, advance equality of opportunity and foster good relations in relation to age (as appropriate), disability, ethnicity, gender (including issues of transgender, and of maternity and pregnancy), religion and belief, and sexual identity.
The Willows Academy Trust Equality & Diversity Policy sets out the guiding principles which underpin our commitment to equality and diversity. We ensure that these principles apply to the full range of our policies and day to day practices.
We review our Equality & Diversity Policy and our Equality Objectives every year to ensure that we are complying with all aspects of the public sector equality duty.
Our Equality Objectives are set out in the WAT Equality Duty Report:
- To narrow the gap between pupils from low/non-income families and those of their peers.
- To ensure curriculum provision meets the needs of all children including those with SEND.
- Protect against prejudice and increase an understanding of equality through direct teaching across the curriculum.
- To ensure all staff, volunteers, governors and directors are aware of current legislation surrounding equality and diversity and understand their responsibilities within this legislation.
Progress against our current objectives are reviewed regularly by governors and published annually as a minimum.
Our Accessibility Policy and school Accessibility Plan also help to ensure that we are inclusive and provide a safe environment for all.
For example, our buildings are accessible because
- they are single storey buildings
- there are designated accessible parking bays within the staff car park, close to the entrance to the school
- ramped or level access is provided to all the main buildings
- accessible toilet facilities are situated within the school
- a portable induction loop can be accessed if required
- signage is written with clear contrasting colours to make signs as visually friendly as possible
Please do not hesitate to contact the school office on if you have any queries relating to access in and around the school or if you need assistance during a visit. We follow local authority admissions guidance for all children including those with additional needs. Please refer to our admissions page for further information.